Menu Close

Visa Requirements for our Face-to-Face Courses

One of your first steps should be to look into the entrance (visa) require­ments for trav­el­ling to Ger­many that apply to your per­son­al sit­u­a­tion. In prin­ci­ple, every inter­na­tion­al  can­di­date requires a visa to enter and stay in Ger­many. How­ev­er, the type of visa required will depend on your coun­try of ori­gin.
This sec­tion pro­vides infor­ma­tion about which entry require­ments are applic­a­ble to which group of coun­tries, about the visas accept­ed for stud­ies at Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty and about res­i­dence per­mits for Ger­many. Please check the web­site of the DAAD for impor­tant infor­ma­tion and require­ments for obtain­ing a stu­dent visa.
Remem­ber, it is your per­son­al respon­si­bil­i­ty to ensure that you have the cor­rect paper­work to enter and stay in Ger­many.
Cit­i­zens of the Euro­pean Union (EU) and the Euro­pean Eco­nom­ic Area (EEA)
If you are a cit­i­zen of the Euro­pean Union (EU) or the Euro­pean Eco­nom­ic Area (EEA), your per­son­al iden­ti­fi­ca­tion card (or com­pa­ra­ble proof of iden­ti­ty) is suf­fi­cient for entry into Ger­many. Please be aware, how­ev­er, that to stay for a longer peri­od in Ger­many, you also need to have your pass­port with you.
Spe­cial reg­u­la­tions for cit­i­zens of par­tic­u­lar coun­tries
Cit­i­zens of the coun­tries list­ed below can enter Ger­many and stay for a peri­od of three months with­out a visa. For a stay of longer than three months, cit­i­zens of these coun­tries must, how­ev­er, apply for a res­i­dence per­mit. The coun­tries in this group are: Andor­ra, Aus­tralia, Cana­da, Hon­duras, Israel, Japan, Mona­co, New Zealand, the Repub­lic of Korea, San Mari­no, Switzer­land and the Unit­ed States of Amer­i­ca.
Cit­i­zens of all oth­er coun­tries
Cit­i­zens of oth­er coun­tries are required to pos­sess a visa pri­or to arrival and in order to enter Ger­many. This may be, for exam­ple, an appli­cant visa (Visum zur Stu­di­en­be­wer­bung) or a stu­dent train­ing visa (Visum zur Pro­mo­tion). 

Residence Permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis)

This post­grad­u­ate pro­gramme offers both online and face-to-face short cours­es which aim to expand in-depth knowl­edge on var­i­ous aspects of social pro­tec­tion schemes as well as impart the tech­ni­cal back­ground and prac­ti­cal skillsets need­ed to sup­port the build­ing or expan­sion of social pro­tec­tion schemes and the poli­cies which sup­port them. Par­tic­i­pants of the pro­gramme will sub­se­quent­ly be capa­ble of mak­ing sig­nif­i­cant con­tri­bu­tions to the  elab­o­ra­tion and imple­men­ta­tion of reforms nec­es­sary for achiev­ing and main­tain­ing viable, sus­tain­able and effi­cient social pro­tec­tion sys­tems which effec­tive­ly and equi­tably  meet cur­rent and future socio-eco­nom­ic and gen­der-spe­cif­ic chal­lenges.

Apply­ing for a res­i­dence per­mit

  • The fol­low­ing doc­u­ments must be sub­mit­ted to apply for a res­i­dence per­mit:
    Appli­ca­tion form for a res­i­dence per­mit (Antrag auf Erteilung ein­er Aufen­thalt­ser­laub­nis). This form is avail­able at the for­eign­ers’ office.
  • Admis­sions let­ter (Zulas­sungs­bescheid) from Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty
  • Proof of health insur­ance (orig­i­nal and copy)
  • 2 bio­met­ric pass­port pho­tos
  • Pass­port (orig­i­nal and copy)
  • Proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources (see the fol­low­ing sec­tion)
  • Depend­ing on the require­ments of the for­eign­ers’ office at which you apply, addi­tion­al doc­u­ments may be required.
Proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources
Before begin­ning your stud­ies at Hei­del­berg Uni­ver­si­ty, you must demon­strate to your Ger­man embassy or con­sulate or to the local for­eign­ers’ office that you are able to finance your stay in Ger­many. Gen­er­al­ly, the proof of suf­fi­cient finan­cial resources must be sub­mit­ted with the orig­i­nal visa appli­ca­tion but in some cas­es it may not be required until the appli­ca­tion is sub­mit­ted for a res­i­dence per­mit. You can demon­strate that you have suf­fi­cient resources to finance your stud­ies in the fol­low­ing ways:
  • by prov­ing that you will receive a grant or fel­low­ship (includ­ing the amount and dura­tion of the fund­ing) or
  • by demon­strat­ing your income and assets or
  • by deposit­ing a secu­ri­ty into a blocked bank account in Ger­many from which only one twelfth of the deposit­ed amount may be paid out per month or
  • by under­tak­ing a bank guar­an­tee for the planned dura­tion of your train­ing. This guar­an­tee must be under­tak­en at a bank in Ger­many or at a bank that is allowed to do busi­ness in Ger­many.



Indi­vid­ual Cours­esCer­tifi­cate in Social Pro­tec­tion